Thursday 12 February 2015

Spoons

I've had occasional problems with some locos stalling over points.

Having researched further, it appears that the problem may be down to excessive wear on the pick-up shoes, or spoons as they're sometimes referred to.

The problem seems to be more so with the 0-6-2 tank engines, even though the pick-up skate is the same length as the standard locos, although it does tend to overhang slightly at one end which appears to be a design problem.

Having double-checked the pick-up spoons, a number were grooved quite badly so I've sourced some reproduction ones and replaced the worst looking ones, however I've also read that others have attempted to re-profile the old ones using solder, so I decided to test this for myself.

Of the three pairs of spoons below, the top left are the new, reproduction ones sourced recently. Top right is a pair that I previously experimented with, and the bottom pair are the two that were in the worst condition, the groove is clearly visible:



First job was to clean up the spoons, removing all dirt & grime ready for soldering:



Once cleaned, I applied heat from the soldering iron, then applied the solder:


Waiting for the solder to cool:


Once cooled, this is the result:


Now for some grinding:


And a final polish:


The solder will probably be much softer so these may require work again in future. I'll test them shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment