Sunday 4 June 2017

Deltic revamp

Having now restored six super detail coaches using my own vinyl overlays to create a rake of blue & grey mk1 coaches, I was looking for something more appropriate to haul them.

I have the Royal Scots Grey Deltic, the body of which I acquired some time ago but the colour scheme isn't quite right, the windows are missing and the loco numbers don't look right.

Having also recently restored the green Deltic by buying a scrappy two rail version, I found myself with a spare body and decided to have a go at producing a blue version. As I also have a lovely prototype version complete with working lights, I also decided to have a bash at installing some directional LEDs as well.

First job was to drill the holes for the LEDs


The pillar drill made this task quite easy, two 2mm holes drilled in each end.


Then it was time to strip the body to bare metal, one hour in a bag of drain cleaner and the body was completely devoid of paint. Wire brushing removed any final traces of leftover paint, leaving a shiny metal body ready for primer.


 Two coats of etch primer later...



After being left to dry and harden, the yellow ends were painted. Father Christmas very kindly brought me an airbrush kit, which I hadn't got around to using, so this was the first real test of airbrushing using Railmatch paint.


With the yellow paint applied and left to harden, the front ends were then masked ready for the blue paint.


And then two coats of blue were added.


The masking was then carefully peeled away to reveal this:


Normally I would buy transfers but this time I decided to experiment using the vinyl process, so after finding a suitable Google image of the Gordon Highlander name plate, I then made up the running numbers and data plate, finally finding a high quality British Rail logo to use as a template. These were then cut and fixed into place. The body was then given several coats of gloss lacquer.


The result is reasonable - the graphics aren't completely straight but it's acceptable.


The LEDs were then installed and wired, the LEDs at the other end being wired so that only the driven end illuminates.


Then the side frames were painted.


After wiring the LEDs to the chassis and rebuilding the motor, the cab windows were refitted and the whole thing is now ready to run.


So 55016, Gordon Highlander will be making its debut during our next outing.

Royal Scots Grey may get the same treatment...

No comments:

Post a Comment