Saturday 19 January 2013

Tank engines (you can never have too many)

Left to right: Repainted Southern body  fitted to the newly repaired chassis. A genuine Dublo LNER tank. A 2 rail acquired from a friend's deceased relative, restored to 3 rail running. Finally another original genuine Dublo tank.

So I now have four operational 0-6-2 tanks in my collection.

After sourcing another loco listed as spares / repairs, I finally found a decent chassis to pair up with my green southern repainted body.

The loco had a dud armature, not surprising as all three axles were pretty tight, so a good clean, grease and oil plus a new magnet and second hand armature got it up and running and sounding quite sweet.

Once finished, I decided the give the other green 0-6-2 some attention is it was running quite slow by comparison to my latest repair. A quick blob of oil to the three axles was all that was needed. They double-head perfectly!


I then decided to try double-heading with the other two 0-6-2s and found they were also significantly slower and noisier than the others. More oiling and tweaking of the worm gear solved this, along with some minor adjustments to the brush springs.

I even managed a triple-head but this isn't recommended, the A3 wasn't that happy and power had to be applied carefully.

Just need a couple of new front couplings to finish.



No comments:

Post a Comment