Sunday 7 April 2013

Märklin turntable

This arrived during the week...


Haven't had a chance to fully test it yet but it appears to have a defective control switch.

There's some minor warping to the plastic casing which is stopping one of the contacts inside from reaching the other. I could try to heat it back into position but I have a plan to control this using a toggle switch, via a latching relay and a couple of diodes. This will look much neater than the current arrangement, which is rather large, unattractive and clumsy looking when all the wires are connected.

I could have spent hours butchering a genuine Dublo turntable, fitting a motor & gearbox etc but this thing has all those gubbins already installed, plus it should stop at every track, something that would have taken me days to figure out.

I'll probably use it in the loft layout as my planned turntable position isn't that easy to reach, this will eliminate the problem of having to reach over to turn the locos and of course gives me 6 roads rather than the standard Dublo 5. Plus it gives me more scope with the design of the approach to the turntable, might even be able to design a run round loop from this.

I'll post more pics when I've constructed the switch mechanism and installed it but for now I'm happy to have finally tracked down one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment