Thursday 11 April 2013

Turning the table

After a light oiling and a quick test, I turned my attention to the broken turntable switch.

The original Marklin switch, as well as being broken, will look quite clumsy when installed on the layout, so I divised a simple circuit, using a latching relay and 2 diodes so that I can use a normal spdt  toggle switch to control direction and send a pulse signal to start the turntable moving.

After about 20 minutes, I came up with this...

The switch is a momentary on-off-on toggle switch, although it looks to be switched in one direction, it's actually in the centre off position. I'll find a better switch!
...works perfectly, controls the turntable in both directions. Turntable indexes a treat. I'll hide the circuit under the board and while I'm at it I will redo the terminals on the turntable itself, hiding the connections underneath, rather than using the original connector plugs supplied. The only visible component will be the toggle switch, much neater than this...



No comments:

Post a Comment