Friday 2 August 2013

Saved from the scrapheap


This is one of the three locos I picked up recently as part of a job-lot of Dublo items, all 3 of the locos are non-runners.

No body fixing screw, no rear pony, a very play-worn body, missing buffer, stuffed armature and a magnet with very little magnetic field strength left. Oh and the axles were pretty stiff too.

I own an 80054, it was my first repair project when I started out and, although it only cost me 13 quid, is still in way better condition than this one...


So did I scrap it?

Well, no... 

I did this instead...


Found the body on Ebay, it was listed as a repaint. most likely a Wrenn.

I had a spare armature in the spares box, once I'd cleaned and lubricated the axles I then found it would barely move due to the poor magnetic field (to the point of the armature smoking)

Another batch of neo magnets arrived, so with nothing really to lose I threw it straight into the back for a quick test, thinking that I'd already cooked the armature.

But to my surprise, off it went without complaint, so after a further dig around I found a replacement bogie & pony (even though they're from a later 2 rail chassis) a new body fixing screw and the transformation is complete.

I really like the end result. 




Better than scrapping it, not that I really needed any more 2-6-4 locos.

No comments:

Post a Comment