Tuesday 23 June 2015

Bodies

The biscuit tin's overflowing again with bodies and I had a spare bottle of oven cleaner, so I took a batch of bodies and gave them an overnight soaking.

This is how they looked after a night in the oven cleaner bag, by which time I'd already taken two 0-6-2 bodies up into the loft for further work (these will follow shortly)


After rubbing down and cleaning, Halfords grey primer (same primer used for the wagon roofs) is applied and allowed to dry...


Again I have no need for more 0-6-2 tanks but after the successful Atholl transformation, I found a picture of a Wrenn LMS 0-6-2 and decided to create my own.

The painting is done in the same way as Duchess of Atholl, with the whole body painted black, the front and cab roof is then masked and two coats of the red applied, this creates a darker colour...


As well as leftover paint, I also had plenty of transfers left, here one side has been completed and the individual numbers cut ready to apply to the other side...


For the other body I kept it simple and black, this graphic is home made, printed onto vinyl and cut to size, then lacquered over the top. I fancied a gloss black look and this one's really shiny!


By now the lacquer on the LNER tank is dry and the finish on the LMS is the final layer of the red, this leaves a shiny red and matt black effect, so for this body I decided to go with matt lacquer over the top to seal the transfers and give a uniform finish...



 The hand rails required some TLC before refitting...


And the LMS is finished, apart from the smoke box number which I'll print separately. At some point the whistle, valve and buffers will need colouring but for now this will do.

Once I'd finished the LNER tank and was happily admiring my handywork, I realised that my green LNER tank has the same number. Thankfully when I printed the graphics I also printed some additional numbers so I carefully peeled the stickers off, applied the new numbers and lacquered again.

This one's still tacky so I can't paint the buffer ends yet or refit the hand rails...



 I like both the gloss and the matt effects on these.








No comments:

Post a Comment