Friday 21 March 2014

New layout: Designing the control panel

Rather than having switches on every board (like the current layout) I want a central control panel. It was a long-term goal with the old layout do do away with the individual switches - they get knocked and damaged so a central control panel is the way to go. I also want a panel with the controllers built in - no more wiring up each time etc.

I had hoped to go over to Gaugemaster controllers but as I need four of them, this won't be cheap and funds are already tight.

I love the feel of the gaugemaster controllers, however I also like the feel of the old H & M Duette - especially the centre off position. As I already own a Duette I figured that I may as well look to incorporate this into the design and find a second unit, which I've now done. I've sourced a broken Duette from Ebay which I'll repair and use in the control panel.

I want to build the controllers fully into my control panel and not just squeeze the entire unit into the panel. Having taken my existing Duette apart it looks like a reasonable task to strip it from its existing enclosure and make something "bespoke."

I scanned the fascia panel into my computer, after a lot of tweaking with the brightness and contrast, I ended up with this:


Not brilliant, the right hand side of the fascia is bent & discoloured, also there are lots of scratches. Certainly not good enough to construct a new panel.

Time for some airbrushing!

I want a panel that looks uniform in appearance and not just look like two Duettes thrown together.
The scan of the old fascia, although tatty, was good enough in places. The dial markings and the lettering around the switch banks scanned perfectly. The rest of the lettering I re-did.

After much airbrushing, scratch removal and touching-up, I ended up with draft 1:


The right hand dial was too badly marked to re-use, so the left hand one was copied and used for all four dials, giving a more uniform appearance. 

Not bad, I think it looks far better than the original panel and far more bespoke. I don't intend to re-use the existing Duette switches, I'll substitute these for toggle switches.

I decided that the panel looked a bit bland, it really needs some colour and I guess it's only fair to include the H & M logo.

After some more tweaks, I have what I think will be the final version:


I think this will look good, the combination of yellow & blue suits the Dublo style. I've ordered some aluminium sheets which will become the control panel, this will be printed onto sticky-backed photo quality paper and then lacquered once in place. A second sheet of aluminium will become the signal & points control panel, which I can't really design until the tracks are laid and I know exactly where all the points will be.

More to come...




No comments:

Post a Comment