Saturday 8 March 2014

New layout: progress

Made my second run today to purchase timber for the skeleton framework of the new boards. Thankfully my brother, being a demon at carpentry, has already turned the timber I purchased last weekend into the three frames for the front boards.

There will be six boards in total, each will be separate, no hinging this time, the framework will be clad in either mdf or plywood, this should stop the boards from warping like the current ones are prone to.

The layout will be 16ft x 5 ft the outer boards will be 5ft 6 in length, with the centre boards being 5ft each. They should just about fit in the car, they will also be designed to be stacked, the cladding will prevent the boards being stacked on the tracks (another problem with the current layout) and consideration is needed with the height of the scenery and raised track. If it's too high then I'll struggle to transport them.

One of the primary reasons for hinging the current boards was that it reduced the amount of wiring between boards. I need a system whereby the boards will join together with the minimum of wiring. Seeing connections and wires underneath isn't pretty. I've previously used db25 connectors when I first designed the boards (old parallel printer terminals) and these worked relatively well. However although my soldering technique is reasonable, I'll need more terminals. Actually I've worked out that I need 37 pin connectors between the front three boards to allow for all the electrics planned. Thankfully after many hours of searching, I've located some 37 pin breakout pcb's.


These are basically 37pin male and female plugs that are pre-soldered to a pcb board, with terminal blocks for all 37 connections. This will make the whole process much easier to wire. I plan to have the connectors mounted on the board joins along with dowel pins, when everything is lined up, it'll be a simple job to just clip the boards together - no wires, no fuss. That's the plan anyway.

I was originally going to use standard 12v automotive relays under the boards, problem is these are large and will look untidy so I've worked out that I can make three separate points control pcb's (one for each board) and make a separate pcb for the track isolators.

I've already spent some time mapping out the configuration of the 37pin connectors - having everything written down is a novelty for me, previously I keep it all in my head but electrically this project will have much more electronics than the current boards have,  also to reduce the volume of wiring from the switch panel (which I also need t build) I will need to use remote relay control.

After many hours trawling the internet for a suitable enclosure for a control panel, I've decided that they're far too expensive, better for me to construct my own from scratch. I've seen many fine examples of DIY built panels, I know in my mind how I want mine to look. I'll be abandoning the A3 controllers for the main lines but will retain one for shunting duties on the back boards. Ideally I'd like to use Gaugemaster controls as these can be supplied in panel mount format. I've also located a suitable track shuttle device that can also operate two signals. I'll build a manual override control using a relay pcb.

Lots and lots of work to do and lots of money to be spent. The deadline is November, for now the existing track on the portable layout will be left alone so that it can still be used. I think we'll leave that part right until the end if we can and get the wiring, connectors, dowel pins and latches fitted
first.

This is going to be a mammoth project, without doubt the biggest challenge to my wiring skills yet. If it all comes together as planned it'll look fantastic...

...I hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment