Thursday 5 May 2016

Aftermath

So after a four day hammering of the rolling stock, time to commence servicing and repairs.

The video of our time at Abbey Hill can now be found on the YouTube page.

What the video doesn't show is just how much of a hammering the 0-6-2 tanks got, particularly over the first two days.

I decided to take a look at all of the tank locos, starting with the failures and then checking the rest. My black LMS tank expired with a puff of smoke from the cab, which I presumed meant that the armature was no more. As it turns out, the damage is no more than carbon build up between the commutator segments.

Not easy to see, but the commutator gap is almost non-existent and full of carbon deposit:


After a quick clean up using a knife blade and fibre glass pen, the armature was refitted back into the loco and after a quick lube, it's running fine - result!

Next for the red LMS (2273) that I rewound myself. Again the issue appears to be carbon build up, the resistance readings across all three segments are fine and no issues with the way I've wound the armature. After another clean up and lube, this also runs fine.

So basically, nine of my ten tank engines have been stripped and cleaned, the only exception being the GWR tank, which is a recent acquisition and not in need of overhauling (yet)

Next job will be to check the 2-6-4 tanks, then I'll slowly work through the rest of the stock box by box.

Plenty of time before the next outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment