Wednesday 16 September 2015

Scrapheap challenge - part three - 0-6-2 tank

A replacement armature is on its way, so I decided to start work on the body.

This is one of the worst bodies I've ever seen...


And the other side isn't much better,,,


The only option is to go back to bare metal. No need for an overnight stay in a bag of oven cleaner, a quick bath in caustic soda removed most of the paint, and some final sanding removed the rest.


I now have a spray booth, using the turntable makes the painting job much easier. Primer first...


Then two coats of black. Already it's a huge transformation...


The question now is what to do with it? I already have eight 0-6-2 tanks and already have 69567 /8 /9 - I neither want or really need a 69566 or 69570!

Looking at the other locos in the box, the one I like the most is the recent maroon LMS that I made using Fox transfers. As the process for adding the red involves using a black base it will be a simple task of masking the black paint and adding the red. There are enough transfers leftover to make a running-mate.

By the time I've finished the paintwork hopefully the armature will have arrived and the first of my freebies will be in service.


No comments:

Post a Comment