Wednesday 9 December 2015

I hate computers

I've used computers for years, both at home and at work, starting with Windows 3.11 and working with most of the generations of Windows before finally taking up Bill Gates's very generous offer to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

That doesn't mean I'm a computer expert, or a fan. I well remember the pain of trying to install Windows XP back in the day and accidentally installing it to the wrong hard drive, wiping its entire contents of documents & pictures etc (because there wasn't a backup) in one mouse click.

With the advent of Windows 10, I splashed out on a bigger main hard drive so that I could also benefit from using OneDrive and its cloud based storage. So I was in the process of gradually migrating files from one drive to the other, with my Windows system pointing at two different hard drives on my computer for the files within My Documents, not a great idea really but I was in the process of migrating everything to a central location.

I should have spotted the issues earlier, last week one of the drives disappeared temporarily and then remounted itself under a different drive letter. This week it's corrupted and turned itself into a RAW state. After many, many hours of trying and using various different restoration techniques I've recovered some files but many are damaged, feared lost.

Thankfully the pictures are backed up using Icloud and a NAS drive that I have at home. Some of the My Documents files however weren't so lucky. Probably the most painful casualty is the file containing all the graphics for the blue EMU project - that's gone completely. The only saving grace is that the blue & grey EMU project uses the same basic graphics, and this was stored on the new drive. Although the door handles had been recoloured it would be possible, but time consuming, to produce another blue EMU set. So my three existing EMU sets are now unique!

Always back up your files :(



No comments:

Post a Comment