Thursday 13 February 2014

Triple headed Deltic!

The green Deltic, with its o ring shaped tyres, has always caused me grief, especially over points so I ordered some more Märklin tyres, which arrived today and were fitted shortly afterwards.

After a few concerning sparks flew out of the cab windows, it settled down and ran sweetly, drawing around 0.4 amps.

I then tried double heading with Crepello - I know that Crepello and Royal Scots Grey work well together after their performance during the last two runs on the portable layout and the two ran very sweetly together and appear well matched power wise. Current draw stabilised around 0.75 amps.

So I had to experiment. And this isn't something that I'd try with an A3 controller but as I have a spare H&M which I use in the loft for the sidings, I had to give it a go... Could I really get three of them to run together? Would they stay together? Would they run at all?


The answer is yes!!!

Pushing the limits of the controller I think and no doubt once coaches are attached, the rolling resistance will increase the current draw. 


They ran together perfectly, no uncoupling, no derailments, no overheating.

I don't think an A3 controller would handle it though!



No comments:

Post a Comment