Sunday 2 February 2014

My first go at repainting a loco


I have loads of 0-6-2 tank engines and really didn't need any more, I have reasonable examples of the two most common versions and acquired several repainted bodies, which I've combined with refurbished chassis over the years.

One of the things I've never attempted is a loco repaint. Now it's fair to say that my talents really lie in the mechanical side of things rather than cosmetic but with a fair collection of scrap loco bodies piling up, and the recent acquisition of two more, rather sick looking 0-6-2 tanks (and the 2-6-4 that I already restored with a replacement body) I decided to have a go at repainting.

The loco body had been stripped a while ago when I did the platforms using an overnight soak in oven cleaner.


After a soak and rinse, I ended up with a stripped body.


The body was then primed using halfords grey primer, then it got left for months!


Having finally found some enthusiasm to finish what I'd started, I then applied two coats of black.


After being left to dry, it was time to apply the transfers. These were sourced from eBay about three years ago from lhp media. They arrive on a sheet and require cutting out and applying.





And this is the finished result, I added lacquer to give the loco a nice glossy finish, also because there was a notable difference between the finish of the loco paintwork and the finish on the transfers. Finally the red inserts were painted in front and rear.

It will be reunited with its chassis, which has already been restored, just need a new front coupling and screw as these were missing.

I can't say that this is something I'd consider doing much of and the idea of restoring something like a duchess or A4 body is something that I think is still way beyond my abilities, but I'm happy with my first attempt and it's nice to see another loco that would potentially have been scrapped saved from this fate.








No comments:

Post a Comment