Friday 28 February 2014

Turning the turntable part 2

The paint's dry and the glue has gone off.

Had to ream out more of the centre section of the girder so that it cleared the electrical contacts in the centre.

After some reassembly...

I started with this...

I wanted it to look more like this...


And this is the final result...


Close up of the motor house. I could have made a better job of the paintwork but I'm happy with the final results. The girder section here had to be halved in thickness to fit in the space available. I could have repainted the original fences but they weren't in great shape and besides, I really wanted the Dublo girders if I could.


Just a small bit of rewiring needed underneath. I also plan to remove the four connection pins on the side, as the turntable will need to be recessed into the new boards (due to the difference in track thickness between Dublo & Märklin track) the holes where the pins used to be wont be visible.I can then connect it up to my modifed controller that I built a while ago.

The grey paintwork is in good condition overall and I don't currently have a suitable match for the original Dublo colour. Removing all those tracks on the edges is going to be the only way that I can really get a decent paint finish, I don't think that just masking the tracks would give a good enough finish. So for now the existing grey paintwork is staying.

I'm sure there will be some that will scoff at what I've done to this, I think it's interesting and shows what you can do with a reaming tool, a bit of paint and a heck of a lot of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment